Sand in the substrate... (with UGF plate)

Samm,

I also have a 55 that I use for some apistos (pH 6.4), and I have an
undergravel filter with a wet/dry as a second filter. (converted from salt
water a few years back)  I had about 2 inches of "Texblast" blasting media,
I think it was "00" in size, I don't remember for sure.  On top of the
coarse blasting grit, I had "Playsand", that I purchased at Home Depot, that
was at the least 1" thick, and in the rear of the tank the way it was
layered, it was about 6" deep.  I had a variety of plants from java moss,
and java fern to Crypts, and several Apon bulbs including a nice lace plant.

I never could get the plants to do very well, so recently I have been
reading the archives at "The krib" and here on the list.  I had convinced
myself from what I was reading that I needed to use flourite or some other
substrate to provide a good source of iron to the roots.  Because of the
amount of substrate I already had in the tank, I decided to remove the top
2" of sand/gravel, and replace it with flourite.  When I did that, I
discovered something very interesting, atleast to me.  The apon bulbs roots
had all turned brown and were even nonexistent in some cases.  The playsand
packs quite densely around the bulbs.  The crypts however were doing quite
nicely in the roots, and some of them had runners out quite a distance and
were putting up new plants although small.  Watersprite, hygrophilia,
cabomba, and hornwort would rot the stem in the substrate and need to be
reattached to the ground periodically.

I don't have enough information to tell you if what I have done in the
substrate is effective, and this is a snapshot from a guy that is learning
by the seat of his pants and whatever info I can read here and there.  In
the last month, I have started using "Flourish" by seachem, upgraded my
lights to 2-40W Triton bulbs and a Vitalight, and just this week did the
substrate change.  In the last week I have noticed new growth on several
plants including the Lace plant, that has a nice dark green color to it.  I
haven't seen that in quite a while!  I also like the color and look of the
flourite.  In the next few months, I plan to add a CO2 unit, but I want to
have the mineral level and light balanced first.

For the bonus question, my fish loved the playsand for sifting through, and
I left a small area in one corner for them to continue to do so that still
has a couple crypts planted in it.  I also keep some of my oak leaf
substrate there as well.  They love hiding in that stuff too.  They don't
pick or sift through the flourite, it is a little large for that, but they
do all go to the "Sand pit" to continue their foraging activities.

I hope this helps, and I am looking for correction or suggestions as well!

Phil

<------Samm wrote----->