Re: Substrate Sand

Samm wrote:
Subject: Sand in the substrate... (with UGF plate)

I am considering sand in my new 55G tank and I have
two questions:

1.  I read the archives and am now quite confused as
to  the brand and # to buy.  The only store available
here is Home Depot.  Could anyone please specify a
*brand* (I heard something from Texas???) and a #
(also, what does this number specify exactly???)  Is
there a difference in construction vs sand-blaster vs
other sand???

2.  For those who have a UGF (or RUGF) plate under the
sand...how do you keep the sand from going down under
the plate (is there a specific # on the sand..please
specify brand).
    I have heard of people using fiber-glass sheets???
(where can they be purchased??? and please mention any
specifics in terms of diameter of the holes and so
on...)
    Others I have heard use a thin layer right bellow
the sand which keeps the sand in place...anyone have
experience with that???  what material do you use???

Bonus question!
do you find it better to cover the sand with a thin
layer of gravel??? (especially for fish that like to
munch on the gravel and play around...and also does
the sand alone keep the plants rooted well--especiall
if you want to do some re-arrangements...

Thanks,
samm  Los Angeles

The sand brand you want is TexBlast blasting sand. I gave up on finding it
here in Florida and use a Home Depot 50lb bag of filter sand instead the
grain size figures are bloody confusing and I cant remember the conversion
to metric measures. I use Home Depot sand is about 1mm in diameter. Don't
use "white play sand". Its particles are too fine and contacts way too
easily. I use a layered substrate and vary the percent of each component in
each layer increasing the percent of sand as the layers reach the surface.
I use sand, potting soil (heavy on the peat moss & vermiculite maximize
mass and eliminate compacting) and Clay. This is why I dumped
"Kitty-litter" because it is so light newly planted specimens are easily
uprooted.

Do cover the substrate with gravel to trap mulm from fish but no bigger
than 2-3mm grain size. This will allow the swift spread of your ground
covers. Glossostigma and Liaeopsis seem to need finer grain sizes to spread
easily.

D.Chang;

"Those who know HOW will always have a job...
Working for those who know WHY."

See my (11/11) Plants and Driftwood  at;
http://members.xoom.com/Boukmn/www/Boukmn_s-Homepage.html

eBay specials at:
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/boukmn/