Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1405

>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 00:19:27 EST
>From: WEREED5518 at aol_com
>Subject: Riccia
>
>Hello,
>    I recently acquired some Riccia.  Would greatly appreciate suggestions on
>how to keep it on the bottom of the aquarium.  I'm looking for that lush lawn
>look as seen in Amano's aquariums.
>    Thanks,
>        Eric

Hairnets, fishing line, hairgrass, etc all work dandy. In Amano's book 1, he
has some pic's of how to etc and also in Aquarium paradise too and the
Vectorpoint magazines that publish AquaJournal. The rocks that are used
often are 1-3 inch lava type rocks with rough texture and are slightly to
completely rounded.These work well and branches do wonders also. I believe
it's volume 38 in AJ that has a good write upon Riccia and how to deal with
it in the long term.

Most newbies tend to let things go in regards to trimming and maintaining so
it can look bad if you don't keep up on it. Clumps will often pull off the
rocks if not regularly trimmed and you'll be left with holes. The good news
is that it doesn't take very long to make more rocks and make a great
foreground plant. I think its one of the easier foreground plans out there
though.
It's very easy to grow and makes a good indicator plant for good CO2 levels
in your tank which is something newbies often need.No bubbles=no Co2 or not
enough etc. Bubbles= good CO2.  Gloss,Dwarf clover, hairgrasses, and others
can be somewhat harder and require more patience many times than a Riccia
foreground. Everybody likes Riccia too. You spend about the same amount of
time tying the Riccia as you would planting the hairgrasses Gloss etc also.
Maybe just a little more on the Riccia.
Check archives and the books and mag's out there. As Amano proves, a picture
is worth a thousand words.
Regards,
Tom Barr