RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1403

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:50:18 -0700 (MST)
From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
Subject: phosphorus and phosphorus control (4)

>>Folks,

Tests with a simple model of phosphorus states in aquariums show that
reducing feeding rates is the most effective means of reducing phosphate
concentrations.  The second most effective ploy is to encourage higher
rates of phosphate precipitation or sorption and the third most effective
ploy is to increase water changes.

Here it is the familiar diagram again, this time for the last
installment:<<

I find this fascinating Roger, I would like to throw in another factor:
plant mass. What role does the plant mass, the amount of plants in the tank
play? Is a heavily planted tank more apt to lower levels, or make them
higher? We all know that whatever goes into a plant must come out from
decaying leaves and stems. For those of us who tend to plant as thick as a
jungle, just keeping the tank clear of debris can be a challenge. Does too
many plants in a tank make the problem worse? On the otherhand many people
also have sparesely planted tanks, or tanks with only very slow growing,
low light plants. How does that factor into the equation?

Robert Paul  H
http://www.aquabotanic.com
winner of the StudyWeb Academic Excellence Award
Lush plants & Mbuna
http://www.aquabotanic.com/afcichplants.htm
plants for sale
http://www.aquabotanic.com/4sale_prices.htm