Re: Doubt

> Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 06:20:38 EST
> From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Doubt
>
> In a message dated 11/20/1999 1:52:11 AM Mountain Standard Time,
> Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com writes:
>
> > 1.Does flourecent tubes has a life-span?
>
> Yes.  Most have lost a significant amount of their light output after 6
> months and need to be replaced.  Some specialty bulbs will go as long as 2
> years at 12 hours a day without losing much.  Then they just shut down and
> refuse to light.

I must respectfully disagree with Bob, here. His answer is true for some of
the very poorly-designed and horribly-overpriced tubes sold at your lfs.
Most tubes sold for commercial and residential uses retain most of their
output until the gas will no longer sustain a discharge. They are available
in as good or better spectral distributions, too. Total drop in brightness
is maybe 10-20% until they no longer fire. There are some lfs exceptions,
like Triton (overpriced, maybe, but at least well designed).

The rest of his answers are right on, AFAIK.

> >  2.Does substrate or liquid fertilizer has a life-span?
>
> Some have a shelf-life.  Some last longer when stored in a refrigerator.  It
> depends on what you have.
>
> >  How about anti-chlorine liquid?
>
> I don't think so.
>
> >  3What type of algae does flying fox eat?
>
> They don't eat algae to the best of my knowledge.
>
> Bob Dixon

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.