Lighting/ which ones?

<< 1 Panasonic 15w fluorescent 18" (beyond
 that I know little more, it
 >came with the setup)
  >   1 CORALIFE Nutri Grow 15w
 fluorescent 18" which claims a high
 output
 >of PAR however it doesn't say how much.
 This cost me $23.

 I do not think that changing your lamps
 in this case will make much of a
 difference as I doubt,except for the
 price that is, if there is much wrong
 with the ones you have. Your main
 problem is a lack of intensity. If you
 really want more light you will have to
 modify your hood. This can be done with
 one or two 36 watt CFs. Changing to
 single 36 watt CF will give you at least
 50% more light than your current setup
 and probably a lot more. Each CF lamp
 takes up about the same space as each of
 your current lamps so there shouldn't be
 a problem with the retrofit.

 Wayne >>

I'm noticing that recommendations are always made for more and more light.
Many plants can be grown successfully in a low-light environment. It's not
always financially feasible for one to add lighting, but this doesn't mean
that one has to throw in plastic plants. The Eclipse is an enclosed hood
complete with lighting and filtration. It may not even be possible to
retrofit this hood, forget the cost of doing so. Also, the ongoing cost of
compact flourescents is considerably higher than that of standard
flourescents (if bought at a lighting supplier rather than aquarium supply
store).

The cryptocorynes are known for being hardy and adaptable and do very well in
a low-light environment. I have a 55 gallon tank full of anubias, sprite,
crypts and other plants thriving under a mere 80 watts.  I also had a 20
gallon tank growing swords and other plants under 20 watts of light. The
setup she is suggesting, with some alterations on the bulb (such as adding
daylight and/or plant bulb) ought to work.

Sylvia