Re: Lighting/ which ones?

"Heather Briggs Niermans" wrote:
<snip>
>I have been told that 1 Vitalife and 1 Grow Lux is a good combination,
>but I keep reading a lot of good things about Chroma 50's.  I'm
>relatively new to this hobby, but eager to do it right.  Does anyone
>have any advice?

Vitalite is just a more expensive version of a regular C50, as far as
the spectrum goes. Both are full-spectrum, and their spectrum look very
similar to each other. The Vitalite may look a little brighter, since it
produces about 4% more lumens than a similar C50, but the total number
of photons between 400 and 700 nm (aka PAR) is the same (see table at
http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm). Vitalites may last longer, but
I'm not sure of that. Considering the difference in price, I would stick with
regular C50s. You may find them at many WalMart and hardware stores disguised
as "GE Sunshine" (in a orange sleeve).

-Ivo Busko
 Baltimore, MD