RE: Ironite for base of PMDD

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 at 18:43:55 -0600 Glenn Patchen Jr. wrote,

I've read the archives for this mailing list and saw some information
regarding the use of Ironite as the base in PMDD.  All messages were dated
Mid to Late 1997.  I purchased some of this and the analysis has changed and
I'm wondering if anyone is using this or has comments as to why not to use
this product.  I can't seem to find the trace mix anywhere and would rather
have a local source for the products in PMDD.

Thanks,

Glenn

I tried Ironite once back in late '97 so if the analysis has changed, this
may or may not still be true.  Mix some Ironite with distilled water and
check for nitrites.  When I did, they were through the roof.

I also tried adding it to the bottom layer of a substrate in a fishless
tank.  Actually it wasn't fishless to begin with.  This tank ALWAYS tested
positive for nitrites.  After about 6 months, I gave up and tore it down.

Bob Ashcraft
Pittsburgh, PA