re: nutrient symptoms

I have been keeping Apistos for over a year, and just invested in a kati/ani
deionizer because the water in Texas is so hard.  The upside is after a
month of 10-20 percent per week, the hardness reads about 35ppm, (and the
snails are virtually gone!) the pH is stable at 6.4, and the fish appear to
be very healthy, and one pair just spawned yesterday.  The downside, what do
I need to add to keep everything healthy.

I have only had a single 48" vita-light over the tank(55g).  Yesterday, I
added a 48" triton and a sylvania gro-lux.  I plan on replacing the gro-lux
with another triton later, but the dollars keep getting in the way!  A piece
of hornwort had a marked growth in 24 hours after adding the additional
light, but the new growth is almost pure white, not even a little yellow!  I
just finished reading all the info I could find at the Krib in the last 2
hours, and the surface diagnosis by this amateur suggests that I have about
10 things wrong that I need to change, but here are the first few...

1) Replace playsand substrate with "flourite" to reduce iron deficiencies.
(Would it be possible to remove part of the substrate and put the flourite
on top?)

2)Start specifically formulating my water in advance.  ie. DI + purified tap
to attain correct pH, and hardness.  (Perhaps helping somewhat in the
micronutrient area.)

3)Add Tropica mastergrow, flourish, or flourish tabs to the water and
subsrtate to suppliment missing micronutrients.  (White new growth
indicating Ca or other deficiency?)

4)invest in some sort of co2 injection system to aid in stimulating plant
growth.

My question is, what order should I do this in?  And what will have the most
significant impact fastest?

Thanks for the help!

Phil

Go to :