Re: Pen sized meters Pt.1

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Brian Perkins wrote:

> The Conductivity meter needed new batteries and so
> I went and purchased enough to refresh the pH meter as well. I have tested a
> small aquarium  with the conductivity meter and it reads "80" on the LED.
> Since the range as printed on the meter case says "10/1990 uS", I am
> assuming that means this particular tank reads 80 micro-
> siemens (?) conductivity.  What kind of range is this (low/medium/high) tds?
> Can anyone translate this into "hard/medium/soft" for me?

Keep in mind that the conductivity meter may also need to be calibrated
against a standard solution.  80 microsiemens/cm is very fresh water -
somewhere around 50 mg/l TDS (exclusive of silica and nonpolar organics).
There is no method or even a reasonable approximation that converts
conductivity to hardness.  However, water with such low dissolved solids
cannot be hard.

Roger Miller