Re: sterilizing wood

>Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:54:49 EST
>From: PGagne2000 at aol_com
>Subject: Sterilizing driftwood
>
>Hello All,
>I have just received my driftwood centerpiece from Aquarium Driftwood
>(www.aquariumdriftwood.pair.com).  I am impressed with the look, size, and
>shape of it, especially for the money.  My problem is that it comes from a
>freshwater lake in Alabama, and still has traces of algae on it, along with
>who knows what else.  The people who sell it are upfront about it; they make
>no guarantees that it is sterile, but promise that it will not discolor my
>water and say they are not aware of any problems caused by contaminants in it.

Pierre,

Are you sure you have to bother with this? I got wood from Aquarium
Driftwood and never did anything except put it in my tank... no problems.
I've even taken wood from a local lake, rinsed it and used it... no
problems. I guess I'm just not the worrying sort. :) Forget worrying about
a little alage. If your tank is new it will have it soon enough. It's all
part of the natural way of things.

Olga
in Vancouver