Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1374

In a message dated 11/6/99 3:50:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,

<<  wonder why importers don't get the true tropical FW flounders (Achirus
 fromS. America and i believe there are SE Asian species too).  probably
 because there's no demand?

 tsuh yang chen, nyc

colorful fish are the first to get noticed and exported, the market for
oddball fish although larger than most think is not as obvious to the people
who catch wild fish and the demand is slow in being known to the collectors.
I catch my own fish, at least some kinds, Hogchokers don't just tolerate
freshwater they do as well in it as they do in salt. Feeding them something
they will eat enough of to keep from slowly starving to death is main problem
with keeping them. I have been observing them for a long time and I know they
travel upstream both as small fish and as larger adult fish. They are
gregarious to some extent and I have observed spawning behavior in the
aquarium but the eggs didn't develop and were eaten by tank mates. I would
love to see more odd ball type fish imported especially small community type
fish. I think it makes an aquarium more interesting when something odd and
unexpected swims out of the cover of plants and wood. It's neat to look for
shy interesting fish to make an occasional appearance during every day
observation. Maybe we should ask for more odd and unusual fish.  I wish I
knew who would be the most effective person to ask, if anyone knows of an
address share it with us and lets all lobby for more than just the regular
fish we all see. I know it excites me to find a new plant to use in my tanks,
new fish are just as much fun.

                                                                        Moon