Test Kits - interpretting results

Hi all,

General question regarding test kits. Apart from the `normal`test kits, I
use a Salifert PO4 kit and a LaMotte Fe kit.

I have no problems with the LaMotte kit - very easy to read.

I have problems reading the PO4 Salifert kit. Basically, you are supposed to
sit the results down on a part of the colour chart, look down the vial &
read the results - sounds easy ?

When I look at the vial with it very close to the chart, I get a reading
circa 0.1. When I sit the vial on a white part of the chart, I get a
slightly higher reading circa 0.2. The instructions say to place the open
vial on top of the colour chart which is white & compare the results looking
from the top.

One method I have used is to sit the vial on a white part of the colour
chart & move it around over the parts of the colour chart where I think the
results are. When I can see a particular colour through, I move to the next
lower value until I cannot see the colour on the chart. I this a sensible
way to look at things ?

Anyone else using this kit ? How are you interpreting the results ?

Andy Moore  -  (andy at ascot_u-net.com)
Poulton-le-Fylde, Nr Blackpool
Lancashire. GB

Treasurer/BBb Tuba Player Poulton-le-Fylde Brass Band
and Aquatic Plant/Discus collector

http://www.ascot.u-net.com/home/Band.htm