what'd I do?

This morning while doing the daily tank thing, I was amazed to see how
much my plants had grown in the last couple days.  I've been busy with
work the past couple weeks, so I haven't been spending as much time on
my tanks as I used to.
  I haven't done anything different, except neglect my planted tank a
little.  Yet, the plants are growing like crazy.  The only difference is
that I added a couple small Cabomba strands, which shot to the surface
in a day.  Now all of the plants are growing: Hygro. polysperma,
Aponageton, Amazon swords, Mycranthemum, all of them just started going.
Any clue as to why?

  Also there is a new algae growing in my tank.  It looks like green
roots.  I've never seen it before.  I noticed it growing from a torn
amazon leaf, so I first thought it was some freaky mutation where the
roots start growing from broken leaves.  Then I noticed it on my Apon.
and Java fern, as well as the log its attached to.  Anyone have an idea
what it is?

Jason Miller
Sherwood Park, AB
Canada