Re: Hair/Thread Algae control

Hello,

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

>Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 16:05:03 -0500
>From: Rob Cartier <rcartier at snet_net>
>Subject: Hair/Thread Algae control
>
>I have a 90-gallon Discus tank that is starting to get a moderate growth
>of hair algae.The tank is 8 weeks old.  The bottom substrate is 1" think of
>seachem flourite which
>is covered with 2-3mm quartz. It is moderately planted with amazon sword and
>stem plants. I have 160 watts of light . I might have aggrevated the
>situation by adding some seachem iron flourish a few weeks ago when some
>of my plants were yellowing.

Chances are if the plants are showing signs of deficency while the algae
is growing then the algae is out competing for nutrients.  One thing to
alievate this would be to add either more plants, some agressive plants
(i.e. fast growing plants) or something that i've been working with
recently farey moss.

>The yellowing has stopped and I stopped using the floursh about 2 weeks ago.
>I am feeding with Freez-dried Brine and Bloodworms with some color bits
>mixed in.

The iron deficency will definately return.  Florish is only good for about
a week top (have not gotten it to last longer in my tanks)

>Ph is ~6.5 I have been feeding a little heavier than I normally would
>(3-4 times a day)
>since getting a few new juvenilles.
>
>Your suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>Rob Cartier