Trimming sword

I made the mistake of trimming some of the larger leaves off of my
amazon sword in my twenty gallon planted tank.  I wanted to make a
little more room and light for other plants.  Well, now I have new
leaves that are at least twice the size and brighter color than the old
ones.
  I'm going to see if I can trade it in for a smaller one at my LFS.  It
shouldn't be a problem because the owner loves his live plants.

  I wonder if the same will happen with my melon sword.  I wouldn't mind
it getting a little bigger.  Right now the leaves are only two or three
inches long.  Any thoughts?

Jason Miller
Sherwood Park, AB
Canada