Re: Flourite

>Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 07:54:28 -0700
>From: "Michael Rubin" <michael at rubinworld_com>
>Subject: Flourite
>
>> I am tearing down my overly gross and neglected 55g plant tank.
>> Does or has anyone used Flourite as a sole substrate? Any idea how much I
>should use?

I use an all Flourite substrate in a 33 gallon. It looks great and grows
great plants. However, if your tank does develop algae I have found that
the algae (all kinds) likes to grow right on the Flourite. I presume this
is because it is a porous substance. I don't have algae anymore but when I
did having it grow on the substrate was a pain.

Olga
in Vancouver

>Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:06:25 -0400
>From: "Simon Frank" <sgfrank at home_com>
>Subject: Re: Flourite

>Also, to go on a tangent, rinse the stuff VERY well.  Even though it is
>prewashed it is very dusty.  And then, even after rinsing it VERY well, it
>will probably still cloud your tank for a while initially, and everytime you
>go scrounging around to plant stuff.  It should settle within a couple of
>hours.

I rinsed the Flourite a little and it was cloudy but that lasted such a
short time it was no problem. A little puff of "cloud" does come up if you
uproot a plant but mine settles almost immediately... it certainly doesn't
even take one hour let alone two...more like 10 minutes. Maybe it makes a
difference what one's water parameters are or how much current is in the
tank. Anyway, this has never been a problem for me and trying to rinse the
Flourite clean or even almost clean is not going to work.

Olga
in Vancouver