mulm and cleaning?

>Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:36:09 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Ed Street <br at ldl_net>

 One thing that I can definately recomend is
>removing the fish and do a detailed cleaning of the substrate.  This
>method works great (living proof) and will lower the abundant levels of
>nutrients that are in the soil.

You are right, Ed, it sure would lower those nutrients. Perhaps I read this
incorrectly. Are you actually recommending removing the fish and cleaning
the substrate of a planted tank? If you mean what it sounds like you mean I
*definitely* would NOT recommend it. It's about the worst thing you could
do to a planted tank.... and certainly an excellent way to really stress
your fish. If you are only talking about cleaning debris off the surface...
why would you want to remove the fish??

Olga
in Vancouver