Re:CO2 and anabantoids, & airline tubing

At 03:48 PM 10/24/99 -0400, you wrote:
>From: "Jan Fidrmuc" <fidrmuc at united_econ.uni-bonn.de>
>
>I wonder if anyone has been using CO2 injection in tanks with
>anabantoids (labyrinth fishes such as bettas). As some CO2 dissipated
>out of the water,  the anabantoids may be unable to breeth. CO2 is
>heavier than O2, and hence it may accumulate on the water surface,
>especially with a tight top cover.
>
>I've been thinking about reintroducing DIY CO2 in my tanks, but since
>I keep anabantoids, I'm not quite sure whether it is safe.

I have only ever used the DIY CO2 using yeast, sugar, and water in a
plastic bottle, but for several years I had it in a 20 gal. long tank with
only dwarf gouramis, pygmy croaking gouramis, and the like. I have also
used it in a 29 gal. species tank with pearl gouramis, all with no ill
effects. The tanks had plastic hoods with areas open in the back for
airline tubing and heaters & whatnot. For some reason, the only anabantoids
I've ever had run away from home have been bettas.

My CO2 may not have been very efficient, though, because I was using
regular air tubing. I recently saw an advertisement for a special air
tubing for CO2 injection, that said that normal airline tubing lets as much
as 25% of the CO2 escape. Is that accurate? I had not heard of that before.
It seems to be getting a reasonable amount into my new plant tank (plants
perked up immediately, pH dropped somewhat from the previous off the scale
reading to 7.8)

Just another data point,
Rebecca...
in Bryan, Texas