Re: Surface Extractors

Several people have offered their designs for a surface extractor.
These seem to have several element in common.  However, they all lack
a couple of features that the Eheim Surface Extractor has:  (1) The
ability to take the water in from both the top and the bottom.  This
minimizes the surface water movement to reduce CO2 loss.  Also, when
the top slits are blocked, e.g., with leaves, the bottom intake should
open up more (automatically) to compensate, and (2) The ability to
easily shut off the surface skimming action temporarily (for feeding
purposes).

 From a past message, I think Ivo's design handles item (1).  I don't
know if it does item (2) also.  I'm interested in knowing if the Taunus
design also does these two thing.

As I have said, the Eheim extractor isn't perfect, but it has it's
advantages.

Hoa, still looking for the perfect skimmer.

>From: Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com>
>Subject: Re: Surface Extractors / Duckweed Biofilter!? Forget it!
>
> >Hi list
> >       There has been a thread about surface extractors  going on
> >for a couple of days and I wanted to point to my site for anyone
> >interested in building one of these units. The one I made is very
> >easy and although I didn't know it at the time is based on the one
> >that is described above. I must say that I didn't even know that the
> >item described above even existed and this thing I made was created
> >from my imagination. I created a page with directions and pics at
> >http://www.vaxxine.com/martinhouse . There are only 3 things that are
> >necessary to make this Fiddleless Surface Skimmer. A gravel vacuum, a
> >piece of 1.5" pipe and a piece of styrofoam. That's it. Mine has been
> >going for 2 months now and other than cleaning out the loose algae
> >that gets trapped it is truly fiddleless. Any comments are
> >appreciated.
> >
> >Wayne Martin
> >wamart at vaxxine_com
>
>Wayne;
>
>         I too would like to add my idea to the ongoing thread. I like
> your water
>level self adjuster idea in your extractor.  Its a feature mine does not
>have but that I'd like to add if I could adapt the stucture you use.
>http://www.mindspring.com/~boukmn/Easy.jpg

Hoa G. Nguyen
Freshwater Planted Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/