pesticide and herbicide persistence in soils

< Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 03:43:22 -0700
< From: Steve Pushak <teban at powersonic_bc.ca>
< Subject: pesticide and herbicide persistence in soils
<
< I'm curious about the possibility of the persistence of insecticide and
< herbicides in garden soil which we might be collecting and using for
< growing aquatic plants. Some of these toxins are highly poisonous to
< fish. How long can they remain toxic? Do they break down rapidly after a
< few months? I have fruit trees in my back yard and I'm curious if the
< previous owner used insecticides like Malathion. Does anybody know how
< persistent it is?
<- --
< Steve Pushak                              Vancouver, BC, CANADA

Malathion breaks down pretty fast, I think within a week for sure and
possibly sooner than that. Depending on what the previous owners did I
would think heavy metals might be more of a threat.

       Gerry Skau
       ANS BigDial Engineering

       He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.
       -Oscar Wilde