Potting plants in the aquarium

I recently moved my plants from a 20 gal into a 55 gallon tank. I had a few
amazon swords which I decided to pot to make arranging easier and less
stressful on the plants. I am using clay pots which I pre-soaked for some
time, with peat on the bottom, some potting soil with plant tabs, and gravel
on the top. The 2 plants which I potted seem to be deteriorating, though some
offshoots which I planted in the gravel (quite small) seem to be doing fine.
I don't know if they're acclimating to different conditions, or if potting in
clay is not desirable. I'm wondering whether the lack of circulation through
the substrate, as it would receive if planted only in gravel, would be
detrimental to the plant, or cause rot. Any advice on potting would be
appreciated.