RE: Aerating the tank at night and CO2 Levels

Hi,

I have a high (for planted tank) fish stock and had problems overnight with
O2 levels and for a time resorted to an airstone overnight to cure these
problems. Now however after dumping my filter and airpump I have no problems
at night. I just use a small powerhead to drive my CO2 reactor and for
circulation, no surface agitation. Filter bacteria are probably the largest
consumers of O2 in the aquarium and remove ammonia which plants can easily
use and as a by-product produce nitrate which is not so helpful to plants.
My filterless tank has been running for about 8 weeks now and test kits show
zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrates and my fish and plants are doing well, if
you have a tank full of plants let them do the work, why bother with a
filter?