scratched glass

Ugh, doing tank maintenance last week I noticed a scratch on the glass
of my aquarium. Has anyone had any experience (or luck!) polishing such
things out? Must have been there since I set it up; I haven't really
worked in there with anything that could cause that kind of damage
since.  One last rub: I haven't yet identified which side of the glass
it is on! I figured the method would be the same, only one requires
draining of the tank ( or living with it).

Thanks all.

-Dave Papas