Plants with UG Filters

Another person wrote:

I was getting ready to start up the UGF on a 29 gallon that has had fish in it for a few weeks but only
spong filters...I am going to try growing plants in pots sunk in to the gravel.

1) Does anyone have experience with growing plants in pots - if so which types of plants are recommended?

2) Regarding the undergravel filter, I was thinking that placing a plastic plate over part of the UG grid would make the area
directly above friendly to plants.  In my 135 gal, only one of three UG plates is running and plants grow very well over the other
two (inactive) plates.

3) Would UG filters affect non rooted species like Java Fern, Java Moss? (I think not).