Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1309

----------
>From: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com (Aquatic Plants Digest)
>To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
>Subject: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1309
>Date: Thu, Sep 30, 1999, 6:13 PM
>

>Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:17:06 -0700
>From: "Dixon, Steven T. (Exchange)" <stdixon at ben_bechtel.com>
>Subject: Glosso and Riccia
>
>Folks are chatting about how much light it takes to grow glossostigma
>and riccia:  >>> I am pretty sure that your 2.1 w/gallon isn't enough
>for glosso and probably not enough for the Riccia to do well, especially
>if you are trying to grow it at the bottom of the tank.
> > I have a 125 gallon planted aquarium.  At the moment I have
>260 watts of
> > light.  I am in the process of getting Riccia Flutans and
>Glossostigmata
> and > wondering if this seems to be enough light.>>>
>
>I have a 125 gallon tank (which is 24" high) with 320 watts of lighting
>which has grown both glosso and riccia like gang busters.  I'm guessing
>that I have even less light that the 125 gallon tank mentioned above
>because 110 watts of the 320 watt total is on only a couple of hours per
>day.  So I've really only got 210 watts plus some fraction for the extra
>110 watt fixture.
>
>I'm also guessing that the vertical glosso growth is relatively new
>growth.  At least my glosso grew in vertically before it laid down and
>covered the footprint horizontally.  It takes a bit of patience or you
>can keep jamming it down in the gravel to try to force it to grow
>horizontally.  Both methods have worked fairly well for me.
>
>The only other point I would make is that glosso seems to prefer fairly
>soft and perhaps also slightly acid water.  At least these are the
>conditions under which it has done well for me.
>
>Regards, Steve Dixon in San Francisco

What about Jeff's Gloss lawn with a huge 1.5 watts/gal?
 I've personally grown more Riccia at 2 watts/gal than I *even* want to try
estimate for 7-8 years now. Even the sinking type of Riccia. I've had plenty
grow attached on the bottom also at these levels. Gloss does just fine too.
Red Caboma does very well also at this light level.

Generally, the more light added to Gloss and Riccia the better up to say
4-5watts/gal these plants will do. It can be done with less light
though..........and this can stop those 2x a week trimmings and make it
every 2 weeks instead. Something to ponder.........how fast you want to
drive the growth rates.

Gloss does well with no vertical growth generally, if you give it room, some
light, and let it go. As Steve says..........................PATIENCE is
what it takes. It's nice to see folks worrying because that means they care
about the hobby and what they are doing! Jeff's stayed very low using low
lighting and so does mine with MH's. I just nip off the vertical growth if I
ever see it. Stuff grows right back.
FWIW,
Tom Barr