Re: BBA

Ronnie asked:
> 1. When BBA do die, they undergo a colour change (ranges from grey to
>  brown) but do they;
>  a. drop off?
>  b. disintegrate?

I had a *really* base case of red algae in my 20 gallon tank.  Water changes
did not help.  I added CO2 injection and started adding small doses of KCl
and KNO3 a couple of times a week.  The algae growth slowed, and then one day
the algae just disintegrated and fell off of the plants.  This coincided with
my CO2 going crazy and suddenly dropping the pH from 7.6 to 6.5 and then back
up to 7.4 in one day.  I don't know if the algae was almost dead from being
starved for phosphorus and the sudden drop in pH finally killed it, or if
this was a coincidence.  BTW, this also killed one of my fish.

That was 2 months ago.  I have since switched to a CO2 tank instead of yeast,
and the algae has not come back.  But if you look really close there is a
tiny bit of algae on the leaves of slow growing plants.  So it is just
waiting to make a comeback.

regards,
bob