RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1302

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 07:49:30 -0700
From: #PSE1 <pse1 at ix_netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Visi-Lux fluorescent ballast

I bought 3 Visi-Lux electronic ballasts with end caps 13 months ago, to run
2 x 4' fluorescence each.
2 ballasts have failed during this past week, and I am told the warranty on
them is one year! I guess
this is how they make their money.  Has anyone had a similar experience,
and can anyone recommend
alternative ballasts that are more reliable and/or cost less.  (I see
Coralife makes a competitive and
less expensive product - has anyone had any experience with this?)

Thanks in advance

Peter Elson

Try Ice Cap Ballast.  They have three year warranty. Their ballast can run
various lamps, NO, HO and VHO It is completely electronics, due to that you
don't need to replace lamps frequently. I am using Ice cap 660. I am very
satisfied with the performance. These ballast are expensive but the daily
operating cost is less also they will last longer. You can buy Ice cap from
various retailers also from their master distributor Champion Lighting at
1-800-673-7822

Advance Ballast one of the largest ballast maker do not make electronic
ballast for VHO lamps, also Sylvania do not make VHO ballast for 48" or 72"
lamps. They only make for 96" lamps.

Thanks