Apartment to Cold

    I have a slight problem and would appreciate some input. My apartment is
a split A-frame. My landlord is an idiot and put the heating ducts for a
natural gas heater on a support beam that is about 12 feet up. Because of
this the heat in the loft is about 75 F and at floor level it is about 65 F
or less. My DIY yeast bottle is in an area that stays very cool and
therefore has shut down now that Fall is here (NY). I pulled it out and have
temporarily placed it on top of the strip lights which promotes
fermentation. This is a nuisance and I wish to put it back below. What would
be a simple (and very inexpensive) way to warm this area? I intend to build
my own light fixture and place the ballast's down in  the stand where the
bottles are. Think this would achieve the desired effect? The problem whit
this however, is that I was going to use CF and was wondering if this idea
would be achievable with CF ballast's? Further question is what happens at
night when the lights turn off? Will this result in my pH shifting up
radically enough to cause harm?