Re: Mollusc ID

Zebra mussels are not mobile.  They glue themselves in place like a
barnacle.
 I'll agree with the limpet ID.  The shell shape and pattern can be used to
identify which one.

Bob Dixon

    You are most likely correct on the limpet ID. Sorry I had been doing
some population sampling of dune/bog plant species on lake Ontario the day
before the original post so I had zebra mussels on the brain (slicing your
hands open on them when you slip tends to do that). One small point of
contention howerver;

    Zebra mussels are not mobile.  They glue themselves in place like a
barnacle.

        Zebra Mussel Frequently Asked Questions
by Jeffrey L. Ram, Ph.D., Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201
    http://www.science.wayne.edu/~jram/zminter2.htm
    4. Do zebra mussels keep transferring from object to object, or do they
latch to something and stay there forever?
The mussels can move around. Smaller ones tend to move more than large ones.
Also, mussels that have been torn loose during storms seem to have no
trouble re-attaching in new places.