Re: aquababies and other small sized similar tanks

> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 15:22:52 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Ed Street <br at ldl_net>
> Subject: aquababies and other small sized similar tanks
>
> Hello,
>
> I would like to hear everyone's input on this issue please.  I am
> concerned about several issues regarding small tanks with livestock such
> as fish/frogs and some other animals in them.  My concerns are also
> related to the toxins that are produced and the stability of these setups.

Despite a lot of railing against them, tiny containers *can* be made to work
very well. Those of us who have bred *Betta splendens* learn to do it
quickly, or else.

The toxins are taken care of by plants and frequent major water changes.

That said, the instructions that come with them, and sometimes the choice of
fish species are outrageous to say the least. [They rank right down there
with the good advice you get from the teen-age knuckle draggers at your
local warehouse pet outlet.]

The hobby isn't perfect, and the aquababies thing may just be one of the
more obvious warts. I'm sure it isn't a 10th as deadly as the "Chinese Algae
Eaters" that eat no algae and kill *all* fish that sleep at night by sucking
their scales. Great for repeat business. Beware *any* shop that
stocks/pushes them.

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.