Re: Re: White Diamond by Marineland

Well Bob, first off thank you for your help! That explaineed very nicely what
I was wondering about. I do not have the explanation of how this is accomplished.
The only information I got was that the stuff uses ion exchange to reduce ammonia
levels through the cycle period of a new tank. I also received some graphs showing
the difference in the levels with and without the white diamond. I was not really
concerned about soft water fish though, I was really wanting to know which of
those two sets of ions is more valuable to plants. The guy who gave the talk
on the product did not seem technical so I did not ask by what mechanism the
ammonia or nitrite would be lowered. I took it on faith that Hovanec's lab was
a reliable source of information. I could be convinced he was mistaken, but
it would take some solid proof. Any one out there have any input on this bit
of chemistry?

Thanks,
Scott

>Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:09:52 EDT
>From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
>Subject: Re: White Diamond by Marineland
>

>Explain further, please.  How does Tim say that softening the water reduces

>nitrite or ammonia.  I can see how lower alkalinity, and along with it the
pH
>would reduce the risk of ammonia poisoning, but this I don't get.

Aye Net WebMail 2.0
http://www.aye.net/getmail