scrubb my plants?

Although I have kept Aquariums since I was a kid, I'm kind of new to
aquatic plants.  This list has and is helping a great deal.  Here's a
newbie sort of question.

I have a huge problem with algae.  From what I read on this list, I
beleive that it is actually cyanobacteria.( Funny smell and the snails
won't touch the stuff)  I beleive that I may have a problem with
phosphates but buying a test kit will have to wait until I can afford it.
(I'm a poor grad student).  So far I have been able to combat it enough to
allow my plants to survive by doing fairly frequent water changes.  I have
a 29 gallon tank and I exchange 5 gallons/week with RO water.  The problem
is slowly getting better since I stopped using tapwater altogether. I used
to mix the tapwater with RO 50/50.  Until I can do something to turn the
tide to the advantage of the plants I have  resorted to physically
removing the stuff from the broader leaves of my wendtii and java fern.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get all of it off.  Could I use a peice of
cloth or polyester filter fiber to remove it?

Here are some of my tank parameters :
  29 gallon, 3 20 Watt bulbs (not sure of type), 2-3 inches of profile
under 1 inch of gravel, 11 leopard danios (small ones), 1 angelfish and 1
tiger barb, a small Eheim canister filter with activated carbon
running continuously.

I plan to get a good phosphate test kit and possibly some type of filter
resin to lower the levels.

Thanks in advance.
KSB

Kenneth S. Bruno