Poppy seed algae

My tank has a persistent problem with a strange type of algae.  It is hair
like, with what appear to be seeds about the size of poppy seeds every
quarter inch or so.  It grows like mad, despite 30% weekly water changes.
There are no other types of algae present.  I have to physically harvest
this stuff every week or so or it chokes out other plants.  It seems to grow
attached to the substrate and then break free and cling to other plants,
where is continues to multiply in long strands.

Any idea what this is and how to get rid of it?

Grant Cockshott
Vice President and Sales Manager
Welders Supplies Limited
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada