Re: Nitrate addition?

on 09:03 PM 9/16/99 , Matthew Shaffer wrote:

 >I have tested the water, and it shows no nitrate (Aqua Pharm test kit).  I
 >am debating adding nitrate to shift the system to phosphate limited, and
 >wanted your input (I have sodium nitrate in granular form).  My fears are as
 >folows:
 >
 >- -Will the initial high phosphate AND high nitrate state cause a bloom of
 >algae?

I don't think so. When my tank was N-limited and high in phosphate, I had
every algae imaginable. I've been adding KNO3 over the last month or so,
and the algae has only decreased. I haven't seen any type of algae increase
at any time. (They aren't all gone, but it's much better than it was.)

 >- -I use Seachem's Discus Buffer and Neutral Regulator to stabilize the pH
 >(6.6-6.8).  These are phosphate based buffers, so will the pH be in danger
 >of rapid swings as the plants and algae consume phosphates?  I have tried
 >the combination of Seachem's non phosphate Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer,
 >but have not found these to be as stable as the ones I am using now.

I don't think you're ever going to reach a phosphate-limited condition when
you're adding phosphates, but adding nitrates might compensate. It sure
helps with my phosphate-heavy tap water.

--
On an unrelated topic, can we PLEASE stop the Evolution vs. Creation
debate? I just read three digests in a row, and it's the major topic.

I have a very strong opinion on this topic. Since this is an aquatic plant
list, nobody here will be hearing it.

--
michael moncur   mgm at starlingtech_com   http://www.starlingtech.com/
"Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves."