re. Nuking Blue-green algae

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:19:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Scott Slezak <saslezak at theory_uchicago.edu>
Subject: Nuking Blue-green algae

I will soon be moving, and I am in the process of cleaning out my tanks.
My planted 55 has been emptied, but has the remains of a blue-green algae
infestation in it.  I was going to bleach it, but I noticed on the Krib
that bleach is the preferred weapon against red algae, and won't
necessarily work well against blue-green.  I've used erythromicin in the
past, and but the BGA has always come back (besides, its already packed).

Is bleaching the tank worth doing?  Any other suggestions?

BGA is a form of bacteria, so bleach should wipe it out (is there anything
bleach won't kill???).  I'd do a mild bleach wash, then leave the tank in
complete darkness for a few days.  I can't imagine much of the infestation
would survive that.