Re:Nuking Cyanobacteria

Scott Slezak <saslezak at theory_uchicago.edu> wrote:

>The question was:
>I have a tank that is totally torn down but had a cyanobacteria
>infestation.  I am going to re-setup the tank in my new residence.  I
>would like to remove all traces of cyanobacteria from the tank before
>setting it up again.  What is the best way to do this?  I have read that
>bleach is not very effective.  So bleach?  Antibiotics?  Something else?
>
>scott

Bleaching the tank works well.  You fill it up, add a cup or two of bleach,
put on a tight fitting glass cover, and wait a day or two.  the fumes of
the bleach will even bleach things above the water level in a few days.
Then drain , rinse well, and it is ready to go.  Very likely, however, you
will reintroduce cyanobacteria with the fish and plants, and so don't
expect to have gotten rid of it forever like you can do with hair algae.

Paul Krombholz, central Mississippi, enjoying dry, clear, cool Canadian
air.