Re: KKK

>Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:34:28 EDT
>From: Zxcvbob at aol_com

>>We are getting WAY off topic here, but I've seen evolution. Just dose a
>>tank with a weak antibiotic and see how long it takes for the bacteria to
>>evolve and become resistant to it. That happened in one of mine a few
>>years ago, the cyber algae became resistant to kanamycin because I used it
>>wrong.
>
>This is a perfect example of an adaptation. But the bacteria were still the
same
>species after aquiring a resistance to your antibiotic.

It's very hard to draw a line between species with bacteria. Bacteria will
pick up DNA from dead cells decaying around them. They change very, very
easily.

  There are plenty of
>examples of isolated populations of animals adapting to a change in their
>environment (a classic is the white moths that changed to be mottled gray
>during the industrial revolution).

Oh man! This is the example that's now used by the creationists to discredit
evolutionists. Apparently the original data supporting this was 'doctored'.
I'd have to go look up the specifics though...

  I am not aware of any cases of plants or
>animals actually evolving into a new species. And this doesn't prove or
disprove
>anything.

Shannon