Re: Gravel as a true filter media

>Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:41:23 -0400
>From: jaredmarkw at mindspring_com

>A table of media surface area per unit volume in Vol. 1
>of Baensch's Marine Atlas shows that small-grain gravel
>has roughly the same surface area of commercial plastic balls
>and ceramic cylinders (but much less than sintered glass).
>I would like to know if anyone uses gravel in their (canister)
>filter in place or, or with, commercial media.

I have ever since getting a 300L to replace my 40L. I took some of the
gravel from the old tank and used in the bottom basket of the fluval 403
that I had for the new tank. I also used the ceramic tube thingys and sponge
that came with the fluval. It also came with carbon but I think I still have
that sitting around somewhere. It seemed to work great (over a year now).

Since then I've also used some of that old gravel in an aquaclear 200 (I
think that's what it's called - a hang on the back canister type) for my
110L.

My two 40L tanks have sponge type filters although when I was still using an
air-pump and corner filter I stopped using carbon and used gravel in place
of it (along with floss).

Shannon