On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Wayne Jones wrote:

> The purpose of the latex paint is to
> provide a cheap reflective coating that
> protects the epoxy from U.V. The fact
> that it breathes doesn't matter as the
> epoxy itself is protecting the wood. Do
> not use alkyd paint over epoxy as the
> alkyds can react with unreacted amines
> in the epoxy resulting in poor adhesion.

So why are you concerned about UV?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that fluorescent lights
emit no significant UV unless they're specifically built to do so, and
that requires special glass.  Only a handful of lights are built to
produce UV -- e.g. blacklights, vitalites, and a few other hobby specialty
lights like the Tetra Daycycle that Bob Dixon is asking about.

I've built four light fixtures.  I paint the inside gloss white and I'm
more concerned about resisting fungus than I am about UV.

Roger Miller