RO extraction

I have a question about what RO filters remove.  I had heard that they remove just
about everything (up to 99%) but can't get phosphates, nitrates, and silicates.
One would need a DI unit to extract these.  I tested my tap and RO water for
phosphates and nitrates (I don't worry about silicates) and found 0 nitrates in
both, high levels of phosphate in the tap, but none in the RO.  How is this
possible?  Can the carbon pre-filter remove phosphate?  Thanks, Kevin