Re: Glass shrimp

Aquatic Plants Digest wrote:

> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 10:04:38 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Ed Street <br at ldl_net>
> Subject: Re: Ghost Shrimp
> Ghost shrimp ARE brakish water.  It's a very common myth (especially in
> pet shops) that they will live in 'freshwater'.  Ed

Ed,
How do you explain the thousands of Glass shrimp we caught in our nets in the Napo
River in the Peruvian Amazon, 2500 miles from the Atlantic.  You should avoid broad
generalizations as there are literally hundreds of species of true freshwater
shrimp, from fairy shrimp (closely related the brine shrimp) to large
Macrobranchium spp.
Whether or not a particular species is "brackish" or not depends more on the
species in question and the source than anything else.
I will certainly give you this though.  Allot of the glass shrimp see in the pet
stores were likely collected in brackish saltmarshes were these things are
staggeringly common.
I do not know about the Yamoto or the Pom-Pom shimp though, I'd like to find the
species names on these and look them up in scientific descriptions to be sure.  The
natural habitiats should be published in their scientific descriptions.

Later,
Paul E. Turley