Algae filters

Hello,

Last night I was looking over a saltwater pico reef setup (2.5g tank) and
they was using a DIY algae filter.  I was curious if something like this
would work for a freshwater tank.  Say take a powerfilter, remove all the
crap from it, paint the outside so light won't shine thru, put some egg
cartons (paper) inside for the algae to grow on and put a brigh
flourescent bulb over it 24/7.  (also some method to stop the algae from
leaving the box)

Has anyone ever tried something like this in freshwater and am curious as
to how this would affect the nutrient levels in the tank plus the dosing
requirments.

Ed