Re: notes on hair algae

>Perhaps under the conditions you measured the hair algae are dying off.
>If not, then...

Perhaps so.  Last time I was there the hair algae did seem bigger. Also am
not sure if or how much they have been cleaning it by hand.  They will
pull out a 2' section pick the snails and good plants off of it and toss
the algae then move on.  Seriously tho this pond is loaded with sheets
upon sheets of this stuff.

>If the ammonia and nitrate were actually zero (and probably nitrite zero
>as well) then growth of floating algae would be impossible.  Some form of
>dissolved fixed nitrogen is necessary.  Perhaps the low nitrogen content
>is a temporary condition, or the low point in a daily cycle?

Have not thought about a daily cycle of some form.  This is about 1pm
(hotest and brightest time of the day is about 2pm btw)  Also am wondering
if it's possible for hair algae to fix nitrogen?

>Even with iron levels somewhere below 50 ppb the dissolved iron levels
>are only likely to limit algae growth if the phosphate concentration is
>high.  If phosphates aren't high then the phosphates should be growth
>limiting.

Perhaps phosphates are high (one of the reasons why iron is very very low
since phosphates bonds with iron)  but then again am not really positive
of the effects of phosphates on algaes.  I have been reading about redox
potential and algae growth lately tho.  (again phosphates are another,
like potassium, that's lacking in information on)

>It seems to me that the association between hair algae and iron might be
>unique to the PMDD regime where it is often reported but it's difficult
>for me to explain even in that context.  My worst hair algae problems
>have come in tanks that were never dosed with iron.  I've even seen some
>varieties of hair algae growing in tanks were rooted plants were showing
>symptoms of iron deficiency.

My original point was I now do not believe that iron has an effect on hair
algae, at least this strain that is, and quite possible nitrogen? however
if this is the case then there IS something that dictates it's growth and
it would be very helpfull to find that nutrient.

Ed