Dissolved gas (was Re: Water storage)

> Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:03:04 -0700
> From: Robert H <robertph at best_com>
> Subject: RE: Water storage
>
> >>It is NOT the visible bubbles that harm fish! It is the water, stored
> under pressue, supersaturated with both oxygen and nitrogen,
snip...
> In people (divers) it is called "the bends".<<
>
> Well, that makes sense I guess. I learn something new with every APD issue!
> Thanks George, Mark, and the two people who emailed me... So how much of a
> concern is this? Should I throw out my python and buy a 55 gallon drum??? I
> thought I was lucky to be in the only area of San Jose to have soft tap
> water...

You may not have much of a problem, if you are in a soft-water part of San
Jose. Only the 450 ppm direct local well water has the ultra-high gas
content, AFAIK (and maybe not all of that, when they store it above ground).
Keep your "Python." You may be getting Hetch-Hetchy water from the Sierras,
but watch out for they can change that on you with no notice. Contact the
Santa Clara Valley Water District to get a water report, and get them to
notify you of any drastic changes coming up. They know aquarist's problems
and prefer helping to receiving complaints.

A few random bubbles on the glass aren't the culprit, usually. It's when the
water comes out of the tap looking quite milky that you can do real damage.
If your "Python" outlet water doesn't look cloudy, as it enters the tank,
you probably have no problem at all.

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.