Re: (preparing) large drift wood

----- Original Message ----- |
| Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 07:55:15 +0800
| From: Alfred Heng <alheng at pacific_net.sg>
| Subject: large drift wood
|
| Hi all
|
| How would I ensure that the large piece of wood I want to put into my tank
| is not carrying any "BUGS"?  I can't boil this one as it is over 3 feet
| long.  Is there a chemical you use?  If so will I have a problem washing
| the chemical out before introducing it into the tank?
|
| Alfred

I had a piece of driftwood that was similar in size. First I used a
pressure-washer to initially clean the wood, you know the ones you can use
to pressure-wash your deck or the siding on your house etc Then I went out
an purchased a new 30 gallon Rubbermaid trash can to soak the wood in (this
is all I could think of to use).  I put about a quart of bleach in then
filled it with hot water and let it sit for a day, took it out and rinsed
real good. I changed the water a couple of times a day for about a week to
make sure all the bleach was gone.  I had to actually weigh the wood down in
the trash can with bar-bell weights for about four months before the wood
would sink.  See, you can get exercise keeping planted tanks! This procedure
also help to release some of the tannins from the wood.

Also see....   http://www.atchison.com/HPwood_in_the_aquarium.htm

Best of luck
Tom