Water Changes

I have a question about water changes.  I have been changing 20% of my
water every 2 -3 weeks and I usually do a test for NO3 before doing
so.  All the readings I have been getting are minimal if detected at
all.  So here is the question.  Do I still have to change the water, or
just top up the tank?  I know that adding water replaces trace elements,
but I lose about 10% to evaporation already, so I have to add at least that
amount back.

Alfred