Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V3 #1232

In a message dated 8/24/99 3:56:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< 'm trying to find a way (short of air-freight, airport to airport) to get
 fish from Southern California to Toronto, Ontario. Early in June, I ordered
 several trios of Japanese Grass Guppies from a chap in southern California.
 He suggested that the quickest way to get them to me was via U.S. Mail -
 Express Mail service.>>

James, this is how I got them several years ago and they were delivered to my
door in Brampton in 2 days.

<< The package was shipped on June 7th, and showed up in
 Canada on June 10th. Unfortunately for both me and the fish, the place they
 showed up in is half a continent away - I found them at a Customs Clearance
 Brokerage in Vancouver.>>

I don't know what went wrong but if this shipment was non-commercial it
should have never seen a customs broker?

 << Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there ANY courier companies which
will
 ship "live animals" from the U.S. to Canada? >>

 Most courier companies will not ship live goods and many airlines are now
getting into the act since the KLM flying squirrel disaster.

By the way Airfreight Airport to Airport is not as expensive as many people
think,
a shipment from Fort Lauderdale to Toronto on Delta was $20 US for two boxes
of fish totalling 185 fish, which arrivewd in 5 hours.

I am sure that the freight being charged for 2-3 trios of guppies is in that
range also.

Another way to get the guppies, there is a breeder in Michigan that has the
Japanese Grass guppies and you can probably go pick them up.

Regards,

John