KH and Ammonia

Dave Whittaker wrote:  >>> I encountered a similar problem in a recently
set up tank using a sand over soil substrate. I was losing rasbora on a
daily basis until I had the presence of mind to test pH and KH. The
latter had risen from 1 to 7; hence, the ammonia released during water
changes were killing the fish.>>>

I'm missing something here.  Why would a rise in KH release ammonia and
kill your fish?  KH and pH should rise together, right?  Changing the
water should reduce any concentrations of ammonia, unless the new water
contains ammonia.  What am I missing?

Regards, Steve Dixon in San Francisco