Re: Amazon

In a message dated 8/22/99 2:51:51 AM Central Daylight Time,

<< Go there, collect all the fish and plants you like (you can't carry enough
fish to have ANY effect on
 the ecosystem), spend allot of dollars while you're there, come back and
tell us all what a great
 trip you had! >>

With suggestions like yours, we may not have anything left in the future.
I disaggree with you, if you take an orchid from the forest of which there
may only be a few specimens left, you have reduced the potential of that
plant species surviving when there may only be  5-6 plants left in an area.
Knowing the greed of many people they would probably take all 6.
This is the same for fish species, some species are endemmic to certain areas
if you collect a large % of the population that maybe endemic to one pond or
one area of a river, this is the case with many killies, you may be removing
enough to hamper the reproduction of this species in the future.

Knowing development the way it goes , when collectors find an area of fish
they will fish it out.
Start reading some of the statistics on the volumes of neons, angels etc
being removed from the wild by commercial collections or the effects of
shrimp farming on the ecosystems of Brazil, according to what I have read
there won't enogh to supply the markets in a few more years.

The main issue that was raised on this message when posted was not the
collecting, you can collect whatever you like.
The issue was regarding getting them back into Canada or the US. Expeditions
from Holland with the appropriate paperwork for collecting  in Brazil, were
detained, fined and their goods expropriated. Countries like Brazil are
starting to frown on people taking their wildlife. Costa Rica & Panama are
also getting on the band wagon, without the proper permissions and paperwork
you could be exposing yourself to detainment, expropriation and in some cases
jail time.

Regards,

John